Saturday 28 March 2009

'A Message To The Cosmos'

My comment on conceptual art, I suppose. Or on the reactions evoked by conceptual art; which here is shown as reverence, contempt and humour. I side with the giggling schoolgirls. A lot of modern art is funny, whether intentionally or otherwise, and this is sometimes overlooked. I guess this image was inspired by one trip to the Tate Modern. I was studying Cheri Cherin's Where Is The World Going?, a kind of 'all the ills of modern society' collage. One part of it was a grinning blond getting intimate with a dog. Stood alongside me was a teenage girl. I could tell when she noticed the dog and the blond because she gave a great laugh and ran away giggling. That's how you should treat conceptual art.

The sculpture here was the standard Daz Vicky model. She was given a bronze skin via some freebie I picked up and then had her arm rather brutally hacked off in Hexagon. The whole thing is half-sucessful. Of all the poses, only the intellectual's really comes off. The floor is also too dark (once again). Incidentally another comment is the two masterpieces of art, The Madonna Of The Rocks and The Night Watch, hanging on the wall entirely unnoticed.

No comments: